The Attic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Attic

A forum for fans and friends of The Upper Room (now disbanded) to keep in touch.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Bad News" and "Divorce"

Go down 
+12
mckendry
simoninakathat
Sj
The rest of Brendan
Pippa
ochs
Simon Quine
Jimee
Gem
peteisbristol
Kelski
Admin
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2006-11-15

"Bad News" and "Divorce" Empty
PostSubject: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 05:32

Due to popular demand, here they are:

Bad News

Divorce

N.B. These will only be available for 7 days.

Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://theattic.forumotion.net
Kelski
Damn cool. Yeah.
Damn cool. Yeah.
Kelski

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 05:34

... and how ironic are those titles? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
peteisbristol
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 05:36

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

um i mean Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Gem
Know my way around
Know my way around

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:51

LOL. we didn't notice that.

*downloads happily*

spankoo!
Back to top Go down
Jimee
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:52

Is it bad that I don't really like those two songs?
Back to top Go down
Gem
Know my way around
Know my way around

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:53

we'll let you know/agree/lynch you (delete as appropriate) when we've got them DLed Razz

EDIT: listening to Divorce now... is this definitely the same band that did Black And White.. I'm erm..
Er.
Confused?
same for bad news...
i don't know if i like or not. bad news is okay... fratellis esque with a british accent?!! alex's voice doesn't really work on these tracks. with a different vocalist i think they'd be a lot better.

Last edited by on 18th November 2006, 09:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimee
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:55

okey dokey
Back to top Go down
Kelski
Damn cool. Yeah.
Damn cool. Yeah.
Kelski

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:58

Jimee wrote:
Is it bad that I don't really like those two songs?
Shocked I love Divorce, it's so catchy. I always get the chorus stuck in my head.
Back to top Go down
Jimee
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:58

Maybe it'll grow on me
Back to top Go down
Gem
Know my way around
Know my way around

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 09:59

^^ edited my post before with response.

think divorce is the better of the two by far.
Back to top Go down
Jimee
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 10:03

*scrolls up to read*

I think that's what I meant, but i'm not good at articulating stuff.
Back to top Go down
Simon Quine
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 10:34

Just had a quick listen to Divorce and I really like it. Will listen to both of them properly later on.
Back to top Go down
ochs

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-11-18

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 10:53

On first listen I think they definately sound like the Upper Room, and I think Divorce is probably the better of the 2.

As someone said ironic titles Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pippa
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 13:22

Just downloaded them. I love them both! I think Divorce is my favourite of the two.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/spaghettijuice_philippa
The rest of Brendan
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2006-11-16

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 14:46

I really like Bad News musically, a taste of where things could have gone next?

Lyrically I can see where you were coming from Kelly. It seems like a desperate lunge towards a fast disappearing bandwagon...

Divorce; like the lyrics more but for some reason I feel a bit dirty as though I shouldn't have heard it, not sure why...

Was it written by someone else?
Back to top Go down
The rest of Brendan
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 14:47

PS. thanks for the downloads anyway
Back to top Go down
Sj
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime18th November 2006, 15:56

Gem wrote:
alex's voice doesn't really work on these tracks.

I've only listened to each song once- personally i really rather like them both and i really like Alex's voice on Bad News Very Happy Yeh, on first listen i do really like them both- cheerses for the downloads!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/upperroomfans
simoninakathat

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime19th November 2006, 06:51

Both ace tracks - deffo really different from Other People's Problems deffo - cheers for the downloads Very Happy.

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I wonder why Bad News reminds me a tad of the bit before the verses in this song? Wink

He does what he likes & he likes what he does
Back to top Go down
mckendry
Know my way around
Know my way around
mckendry

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime20th November 2006, 05:45

thanks for the links cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glam_rock_chick
Jems
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur
Jems

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime20th November 2006, 14:23

Gem wrote:

listening to Divorce now... is this definitely the same band that did Black And White.. I'm erm..
Er.
Confused?
same for bad news...
i don't know if i like or not. bad news is okay... fratellis esque with a british accent?!! alex's voice doesn't really work on these tracks. with a different vocalist i think they'd be a lot better.

I'm going to agree with you on Bad News, musically the song sounds alright but I don't think his voice works with this track at all.

Divorce is the track that defaintely suits his vocals better, still doesn't sound like TUR, wouldn't have been a bad thing I guess but lyrically both sound a bit simple?? I don't know not quite the old standard.

Last edited by on 21st November 2006, 03:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The rest of Brendan
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime20th November 2006, 14:50

I'm into Bad News now, but I've deleted Divorce
Back to top Go down
ochs

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-11-18

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime20th November 2006, 16:30

The rest of Brendan wrote:
but I've deleted Divorce
Strange thing to do Rolling Eyes

I really can't understand people saying these songs don't sound like TUR. What would you have expected them to sound like? To me they certainly don't sound like any other band. Remember both are in effect demos, so are not the finished article like the album tracks which you are comparing them to.
Back to top Go down
Gem
Know my way around
Know my way around

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime20th November 2006, 17:14

obviously they sound like TUR in that the voice is well, Alex. and i think the guitar sounds like jim (dont ask how i figure that).
but you cant listen to the album/old demos and then tell me that Bad News and Divorce aren't quite clearly an attempt to take a completely different musical turn in order to gain radio 1 favour?
personally i think songs like The Centre, which aren't so radio 1 friendly (apparently! wankers) are much more beautiful, better songs and very much more TUR.
just my opinion though...
Back to top Go down
The rest of Brendan
Convincing amateur
Convincing amateur

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime21st November 2006, 03:57

Quote :
I really can't understand people saying these songs don't sound like TUR. What would you have expected them to sound like? To me they certainly don't sound like any other band. Remember both are in effect demos, so are not the finished article like the album tracks which you are comparing them to.

The point about it being a demo is irrelevant, the demos I have from before OPP are still very well cut and in Kill Kill Kill's case actually better than the album version.

I'm bemoaning the obvious switch towards short choppy guitar parts (sorry Jim, guess its prob not yr fault anyway) and consistant droning lyrics with little emotional input. The lyrics for both are, to my mind, less esoteric than any of the other tracks I have. My opinion is that these are tracks should not have got onto another album if tracks as good as Her Alibi were left off OPP.

Having said that I like Bad News. I don't like the chords, structure or lyrics in Divorce so I deleted it. If I don't like a track there is no point in keeping it just to be a completist, I don't want to remember a band I love with something that makes me cringe. Tell me why that's strange Ochs?
Back to top Go down
Hardlygolightly
Get in there!
Get in there!

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime21st November 2006, 07:55

Did anyone ever read the story a few years ago that made the headlines of one of the shitty tabloids about a woman finding a picture of Jesus in a fishfinger?

Accuse me of the same over-analysis but I think lyrically "Bad News" can be heard as a reflection of what happened with their record company:...

"they really don't mean a thing...these things that have divided us...fly right into all our lives...they have divided us....hanging around with bad news...sick of the sound of bad news...they have divided us" etc..

Don't you think it poignant and rather sad that only a few months ago they were singing "they will never tear us apart"?

Record labels eh? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Bad News" and "Divorce"   "Bad News" and "Divorce" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Bad News" and "Divorce"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next